What Do We Believe at Speaking Down Barriers?
- We believe there is power in human interdependence and connectedness.
- We believe that through personal and societal transformation, we can heal the symptoms of White supremacy, including racism, sexism, heterosexism, internal oppression, and classism.
- We believe that through opening ourselves to the experiences of others we are able to see a clearer picture of who we are and what we can be.
- We believe all people, regardless of cultural background, are wounded by racism, sexism, heterosexism, and classism.
- We believe all people, regardless of cultural background, have gifts to share that offer healing to those wounds.
- We believe that these wounds present themselves differently within different groups of people and require various forms of healing intervention, including shared space and separate space.
- We believe that it is unhealthy and harmful to seek to “dismantle the master’s house with the master’s tools”.
- We believe people who are engaged in a ritual of ongoing awareness and healing can transform themselves, their connectedness with others, and systems of oppression.
- We believe perfection, competition, manipulation, demand-making, and the belief that any one of us has the exact solution to healing difference can operate harmfully as symptoms of White supremacy.
- We believe there are many ways to heal and dismantle all forms of oppression.
- We believe people can transform the hooks of White supremacy, both within themselves and within institutions, into shared human elevation and shared power.